Monday 29 December 2014

Honeybee Birthday Card

It’s a friend’s birthday on New Year’s Day and because I’ve been ill, I’ve got very behind with things, and I’m not going to get this to her in time. I have managed to finish the card, but the glue is still wet so it can’t be posted. Like everything else this year, it can’t be helped!

This friend is a keen bee keeper, and to go with the honey soap I have made her, I’ve decided to make a bee-themed card.

I began with a piece of yellowish-cream card which I embossed in a honeycomb pattern using my Cuttlebug and a Fiskar’s Texture Plate. This was inked by smooshing distress inks in Scattered Straw, Wild Honey and Spiced Marmalade onto my non-stick craft sheet, spritzing with water, and pulling the card through the wet ink.

01 Embossed and Inked Topper

I sprayed the top part with some Dylusions spray ink in Pure Sunshine, and held it up and allowed it to drip.

02 Topper Sprayed with Pure Sunshine Dylusions Ink

I blotted up the spatters from the craft sheet onto the card to add a bit more interest. After drying it with my heat gun, I spattered it with water droplets and blotted it off on kitchen paper, and dried it again.

03 Topper Spattered with Water Droplets

The card base was formed from an A4 sheet of white cardstock which I inked with the same three distress inks, and again I spattered it with water, blotted it off and dried it.

04 Card Base Inked and Spattered with Water

The edges of both card base and topper were distressed with Rusty Hinge distress ink, using one of my home-made blending tools.

05 Edges Distressed with Rusty Hinge DI

I inked the inside of the card with the same distress inks.

06 Inking the Inside of the Card

Using my Stampotique Big Bee stamp, I stamped the card base using sepia archival ink.

 

07 Stamping Card Base with Bees

I also stamped a piece of cream card with the same stamp, and coloured it with Rusty Hinge and Wild Honey distress inks, using them as watercolours by smooshing them on my non-stick craft sheet and picking up with ink with a wet brush. I added some shading with the two colours to give the bee a bit more dimension.

08 Colouring the Bee Embellishment

I cut out the bee and painted the edge with some Walnut Stain distress ink.

09 Cutting Out the Bee and Inking the Edges

Turning the bee over, I embossed it from behind, using ball embossing tools onto a fun foam base.

10 Embossing the Bee Embellishment

Stamping the sentiment. I used the “Happy Birthday” from the Stampin’ Up Perfectly Penned set, using sepia archival ink. I also stamped this sentiment inside the card.

11 Stamping the Sentiment

I layered the topper onto the card base using my ATG tape glue gun, and inked and stamped the envelope with the same distress inks and water spattering, and stamped some bees using Antique Linen distress ink for a more subtle effect.

12 Card with Stamped Envelope

The bee embellishment was attached using a thick application of Pinflair gel glue and left overnight to dry.

The wings of the bee were emphasised with a coat of glossy accents, and once this was dry and the bee was firmly adhered, I added some more Pinflair glue underneath the wings to stop them from becoming crushed flat.

The finished card.

13 Finished Card

Detail of the bee embellishment.

14 Bee Embellishment Detail

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Shoshi This is amazing. Great work on that bee embellishment. It is a great accompaniment to the honey soap. I'm sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling a bit better, I'm guessing from your comments you've been poorly. Lovely card for your friend and I've just been looking back at your posts - the soaps look amazing you clever girl! Happy New Year if I don't catch you tomorrow, Cindy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...