Wednesday 10 April 2019

WOYWW 514 Embellishments for Slippers

I am sorry that people are still unable to see my photos. I am in the process of moving my blog over to Wordpress, and I have reposted this post on there, and you can see it here, and comment there if you like.

This week, on and off, I’ve been working on the embroidered embellishments for my new felt slippers.

When I bought them, my first thought was that they were crying out for embellishment a la Shosh!

I began by cutting out some flowers and leaves by hand, from my large stash of felt pieces. You can see the little paper patterns I made, bottom left by the scissors.

I wanted to cut a lot of small circles, and searched online for the best method for this. Most people recommended using dies but I haven’t got any small circles and wondered if I could use my circle punches instead. Nobody recommended this and said it wouldn’t work! I know from past experience, trying to cut a piece of Tyvek with a punch once, that it jammed the punch. Thinking about it, though, I thought that if I sandwiched each piece of felt between two layers of freezer paper and ironed it, this might make it firm enough to punch out, and it worked! Some of the pieces were a bit fluffy but it was a simple job to trim that off with small scissors.

You can see that I’ve also got some baking parchment out, to protect the iron or ironing board, and also some kitchen foil. I used the latter to sharpen the punches  after use.

A great success, wouldn’t you agree?

Finally, beginning the embroidery.

I made a few from a single layer of felt, and to embroider these, pinned them to a piece of medium weight interfacing which I trimmed off afterwards. For the multi-layered ones I didn’t bother with this.

I am having such fun doing these!

Health Update

This afternoon I have got my appointment with Mr. Daniels, the colorectal surgeon in Exeter, to whom I have been referred by Mr. Pullan, my surgeon at Torbay. I’ll let you know how I got on afterwards. He will decide whether I need further surgery to repair my parastomal hernia, and if so, what is the best way forward.

We are going over early so we can have lunch out together first. My hubby did a reccy of the hospital today while he was in Exeter, and knows where to drop me off for the closest access to the outpatient clinic, which is going to save a lot of time tomorrow.

Blog

As you know from my previous posts, I’ve been having a lot of problems recently with photos on my blog, and it’s just added to my general disillusion with Google. I’ve been on the forum where there has been a discussion going on over the problems Open Live Writer (the software I use for composing my blogs) has been having with Google. Google has changed something and OLW is no longer compatible unless you use a workaround to get photos to publish on your blog, which is a pain. The experts on this open source application have been working hard but realise that what Google has done has made it impossible to make OLW work as it used to. Several people on the forum were saying they were suspicious that eventually Google would pull he plug on Blogger altogether; some decided to move over to Wordpress, so I started to give this some thought myself.

In the past, I’ve always been put off because I didn’t like the look of Wordpress, and thought it was all too much work anyway, but having investigated it in more depth, I find that it is more customisable than I’d realised, and a far more professional platform with a lot more versatility. I have decided to go for the paid version (and managed to get a hefty discount from someone whose Youtube tutorials I have been following) and it’s not really too expensive. I also got a book on Amazon and am working my way through that. It’s taking a long time and I’m covering a lot of new ground and feeling my way with computing stuff I’ve never done before, but I’m getting there gradually.

I have heard that transferring all the content from a Blogger blog over to Wordpress doesn’t always work that well, so I’ve decided just to start the new blog, but to keep the old one up with links between the two. It’s a good opportunity to do some housekeeping anyway. I shall continue to work on replacing the missing photos on this current blog so that it is complete.

The new blog isn’t ready for use yet, but hopefully by next week I shall be on my new blog! I’m now quite excited about it, and once I’ve finished putting all this work into it, it should be a much smoother experience. Once I am using it, it will obviously continue to be a work in progress as I discover more refinements.

The more time I spend on this, the more I realise how clunky Blogger is, and I think I shall be glad in the end that I took courage in both hands and went for this!

I would be very interested to hear the experiences of anyone else reading this, who uses Wordpress – which version they use (.com or .org), and their experiences setting it up.

No kitty photos this week – they’ve been doing the usual stuff, sleeping, eating, and playing in the garden under my hubby’s watchful eye.

Here’s a kitty funny for you.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to say Shoshi, your photos are not showing for me. As I read each bit of your blog post I was wishing, really wishing, that I could see the various bits and pieces you have been doing. Maybe later.
    Oh dear, I hope that I don't have to move to Wordpress. I think I started off there but cannot remember the reason I changed over - maybe nothing to do with Wordpress itself. With me it would just be having to learn a new way of blogging, I love my blogging, it has become a big part of me, by far the best social media I am involved with.
    Good luck with the medical appointment, I do hope they can help you in the best way possible - for me that would have to be without surgery. Funny but my other half always does a reccy of the various departments I have to visit at our local hospital - which is huge - and confusing at times. Have a lovely lunch first of all.
    Hugs, Neet 3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shoshi, no pics showing for me either. I must admit I use Bloggers inbuilt post creator, so I'm not getting issues. I did have my blog on Wordpress for a while when Blogger was being a real pain, but went back to Blogger when it sorted itself out. I've probably still got that. Good luck with the appointment. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #6 X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, cannot see your photos Shoshi... I can see those in your earlier post, they show well. I have no idea what your problem can be, I use Wordpress too and had never had this problem... good luck on sorting it out! Happy woyww and a big hug from Holland. Marit #17

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy WOYWW. I cannot see the photos either, which made me sad. Look forward to seeing them when your new blog is ready next week. I have always used Wordpress for my online businesses. I have used a variety of different hosting, but with Bluehost right now, as a friend offered me a discount code. Seems to work perfectly satisfactorily and not too expensive. I would like to get the Divi Themes, but cashflow doesn't allow that right now. A free option for editing is Elementor, so I installed that and then ran out of time/energy to play around with it. Have found a blogger who does lessons on that, so will learn more soon. Have thought a few times about getting this personal blog going on there too, but always seem to find something else to do! I will look into it seriously and perhaps take some action in the coming weeks. Hope your appointment goes smoothly this afternoon and you enjoy your lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shoshi. I'm sure your slippers are beautiful - well done. Trust the appointment goes well, and that all will be able to be decided. All the very best with your new blog, too.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #1

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I can't see the photographs Shoshi. I'll pop back later. Hope you manage to sort it. Happy creative woyww, Angela x16x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't see any photos either, so it's difficult to comment on your projects, Shoshi. I use Wordpress at work with a paid template. It's got its own limitations but some things (like menus) are a lot easier to create - I wish we could take the best features of Blogger and WP and then you would have a good platform. I started out with a WP blog as well with a free template but it was very difficult to customize it, so I switched to Blogger, which I find a lot easier to use. WordPress is good if you're willing to invest some money into a premium template - without that you really just get the bare framework and will have to do a lot of hand coding to make anything look presentable. It's all good if you're interested in coding, but I've found some things very frustrating about WP.

    I have thought about moving to WP now that I know more about it, but I think I'll stay with Blogger for the time being - purely because it serves my basic purposes, it's easy to use, it's free and most of the time it works. It never pretended to be more than what it is - a basic blogging platform - and I think it's good at that. I can understand though that you feel you've outgrown its scope and you're ready for new challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry but I cannot see your photos either. The only problem I have with photos on my blog is if my Kindle is too full. Then I just have to restart it. I usually write my blog on the Kindle too, using its own inbuilt systems. xxx Maggie (Silvercrafter) #27

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Shoshi but the photos aren't working again this week. I will be interested to see how you get on with Wordpress. I hate the thought of switching from blogger as I am so used to it now though. Hope the appointment went well! Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...