Thursday 6 January 2011

ARTHaven Revamp – Pegboards and Rails

Some time ago, I bought two metal pegboards off the Internet, and have been waiting for someone to put them up for me. Today my hubby’s twin brother came over, originally to help him in the garden as there’s a lot of winter cutting back and tidying to do, but it was pouring with rain, so he said he’d put my boards up instead.

I was still asleep when he arrived! I’m not good in the mornings and it takes me a while to get going. As soon as I was up, I cleared the work-table corner of the room in readiness, and he put dust sheets down, so there was very little mess.
He did an absolutely marvellous job. He’s a real craftsman where building, landscaping, fitting kitchens and general DIY are concerned, and I knew what he put up would not only stay put, but be nice and straight too! I was not disappointed. He straightened all our droopy kitchen cupboard doors the other day and they look good as new!

I also bought a couple of Ikea rails a while back, to hang things on, and he put those up for me too. He’s drilled two more sets of holes in readiness for the second pair that I’ve now gone ahead and ordered off Ebay. (By the way, I think it’s totally brilliant that people buy lots of small items from Ikea and then sell them on on Ebay – it’s still cheap, and it effectively turns Ikea into mail order!)
Here’s a picture just after the work was done.

23 New Pegboards and Rails

You can see that the boards are right over where I work, with the rails to one side, and you can see the holes with their screws, waiting for the other rails to arrive.
After a while, a bit of dust settled, but very little considering, and all I had to do was wipe down the surfaces with a damp cloth. Here is my table with most of the stuff back in place:

24 New Pegboards - Getting the Room Straight

Obviously I can’t get it how I want until the accessories I’m ordering for the pegboards arrive, and the second set of rails, but I’ve put my punches on the rail (yes, that’s all the punches I’ve got – so far!!) and the little tubs below have got the small punches in (corner punches etc.) that won’t hang up on their own, and also my disposable gloves and one or two other bits and pieces.

It will be fun putting the accessories on the boards, and changing things round till I’m satisfied with the layout. The whole board is 36 inches wide and slightly less in height, and the holes are 1 inch apart, so there’s lots of scope for versatility. He’s put them 8 inches above the shelf over the table, so I’ve still got room for putting things on there without wasting any precious pegboard holes behind things! Watch this space to see how I get on with it as time goes on.
I’m very excited about my ARTHaven and how it’s coming together. This time last year, I had absolutely no idea I’d be doing any of this, and it’s so thrilling!
Ooh – nearly forgot to mention – I got my Cinch yesterday! This is an awesome binding machine which gives a really professional finish to albums etc. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think it will be a very useful addition to my ARTHaven. It’s very pink, and waiting for a name. I hope Jiminy doesn’t get jealous.

5 comments:

  1. It looks great shoshi, a nice place to craft, bet you cant wait to put all your bits and pieces on the peg board.
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab Shoshi definately need some of them rails i'm over run with MS punches
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous Shoshi. I love it. I think you will really enjoy it. Can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely space to work in everything at hand. All my STUF is in storage boxes so I am up and down like a yoyo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...