Sunday 25 November 2018

More Flowers for my Altering Project

I have made a few more roses to go with the first part of this project, details of which remain under wraps for now.

I wanted to make some to co-ordinate with the dark purple roses, so I began by adding some Hickory Smoke Distress Ink to the flower pieces, using a home-made ink blending tool.

18 Small Roses with Hickory Smoke

After this, I stippled on some Silvery Shimmer from my collection of Delicata ink pads, using a stiff paintbrush. As usual with shimmery/reflective surfaces, this doesn’t show up very well on the photo, but they do have a subtle silvery sheen.

19 Small Roses with Silver Shimmer

Some time ago I transferred my Dusty Concord Distress Stain into a spray bottle but this wasn’t very successful as this cheap little bottle doesn’t spray very finely, but with quite large spatters. In this case, this was the effect I wanted, so I proceeded to spray the inked pieces, and only realised too late that the spray had wandered a bit, and most of the spare white flower pieces lying on top got a generous sprinkling of spots! Never mind – once inked, they don’t show up too much, and if they do, hey, it’s extra texture!

20 Small Roses with Purple Spatters

After this, I used my home-made spray booth. I thought the resulting sprayed kitchen paper was worth keeping! It might come in for another project.

27 Spray Booth After Use

Distressing the edges of these flower pieces. I decided to do some with Dusty Concord Distress Ink, and to keep the others slightly less purple, by using Black Soot Distress Ink.

21 Small Roses with Distressed Edges

The difference is subtle, but still noticeable, giving a bit of variety.

22 Small Silver and Purple Roses

The distressed edges on the flower pieces does show up more once the flowers are made up.

Here are all the purple themed roses together, large and small.

23 All the Purple Roses

Here are some pictures of them on the different wallpaper samples.

24 All the Purple Roses on Dark Rose Wallpaper

25 All the Purple Roses on Silver Wallpaper

26 All the Purple Roses on Light Rose Wallpaper

As yet, I am undecided which I shall use.

Moving on to the next part of the project, I decided to make some turquoise/terracotta coloured roses.

Here are the small rose pieces being painted first with Peacock Feathers, and then Mermaid Lagoon Distress Inks, smooshing the pads on my non-stick craft sheet and spritzing them with water, and picking up the ink with a soft brush. I deliberately kept the painting blotchy and random.

28 Painting the Small Turquoise Roses

Once dried with my heat gun, I distressed the edges first with Rusty Hinge, and then with Tea Dye Distress Inks.

29 Distressing the Small Turquoise Roses

The small turquoise roses made up, together with their Distress Inks.

30 Small Turquoise Roses and Distress Inks

And again, in close-up. Quite a pleasing result, I think. I was a bit worried that the orange colour of the Rusty Hinge Distress Ink was going to blend with the turquoise and make the flowers go too green, but adding the Tea Dye seemed to help a bit.

31 Small Turquoise Roses

I made a couple of the larger, shabby roses to go with this set.

32 All the Turquoise Roses

I can’t show you any more for a while, except for the final colour scheme roses which I hope to make tomorrow. I am also planning to make up some of the other flowers, each made from a single layer, and I also need to make some leaves, which I shall probably die-cut rather than using the machine, as I’ve now got quite a nice collection of leaf dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...