I wanted to make a special card for one lady who helped me while my hubby was away, who also took me out for a drive and for lunch – she really went the extra mile, and I had such a lovely afternoon, made all the more special because I’d just heard the disappointing news that my hubby’s return was being delayed by a day.
When she arrived, she brought me a little potted miniature rose, which I am enjoying very much – the flowers are really opening up now in the warmth of the room. It came wrapped in the prettiest paper:
and was tied around with multi-coloured raffia to co-ordinate with the paper – I’m afraid I forgot to put this in the photos! I thought it would be fun to make her a card which used some of this paper, and I made this today.
I cut the frames using Penny Duncan’s 4-point sloped shaplie mat:
and embossed the larger one in the Cuttlebug, cutting 3 layers of scrap cardstock in the same shape, slightly larger than the opening, and using my new “No More Shims Embossing Mat” to great effect. (Cuttlebug Sandwich recipe: A Plate, embossing piece made of scrap cardstock, card frame face up, No More Shims Mat, 2 B Plates.) The papers I used were from a gorgeous pack of scrapbooking papers and embellishments I got on Ebay a few weeks ago. I inked the edges with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Victorian Velvet.
On the back of the frames, I stuck some of the transparent wrapping paper, selecting areas that had the smaller flowers printed on them. The larger one was filled from behind with several layers of the pink tissue paper, so that it had a cushioned effect. The smaller one was stuck over a solid shape cut from the scrapbooking paper. These frames were glued to the front of the card, the smaller one being left open at the top to hold the tag.
The tag was one of the die-cut embellishments which came with the scrapbooking papers, and the raffia was from the miniature rose gift wrapping, tied and then frayed. The Thank You sentiment was one that I cut for my other thank you cards (on the previous Hand-Made Cards post), as were the flowers, only this time I coloured them differently.
I swiped my Dried Marigold Distress Ink pad onto my craft mat and spritzed it with water, and coloured the flowers by swirling them in the ink, and dried them with my heat gun. I then swiped my Victorian Velvet Distress Ink pad onto the craft mat and used this as a palette to watercolour the markings on the flower petals, and I then spritzed them with DIY glimmer mist made from Spun Sugar Distress Ink re-inker mixed with Perfect Pearls (in Perfect Pearl colour) and water, and again dried them with my heat gun. I re-did the detail with the Victorian Velvet, using my paintbrush as before, as this needed re-defining after the glimmer mist had been applied. Finally, I edged the petals with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink.
The flowers, and some leaf trails the same as those I used on the previous thank you cards, were attached to the top of the larger frame, and the tag inserted into the top of the smaller frame. I inked the edges of the white base card with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink and then attached the card front.