The final step in completing my Friendly Plastic angel wings and steampunk gearwheel embellishments that I made yesterday was to give them a metallic look.
The first step was to paint them with black gesso. I did this front and back, making sure I got well between the teeth of the various gearwheels.
Once they were dry, I applied three colours of gilding wax randomly to the gearwheels: gold, silver and copper, blending them to give an overall metallic effect that was slightly tarnished-looking.
Unfortunately the photo doesn’t really show up the differences in the colour. For the two pairs of angel wings and the heart and wing embellishment, I confined myself to gold gilding wax.
I painted the heart red, using the Dylusions paint in Postbox Red.
The three pairs of wings.
I am extremely pleased with how these turned out, and I shall definitely be making some more.
I have some silk clay on order to experiment with, too, and I am also going to re-try the UTEE method with the addition of some laser acetate sheet to strengthen them.