Sunday 2 December 2012

Tattered Time Mini-Album Part 5–Sentiments

Today I made some sentiments to be scattered throughout the album, with words, phrases and quotations all relating to time. I created them with my desktop publishing software, Serif PagePlus, using a variety of fonts.

These were printed out and then cut and trimmed.

I then distressed them all with Tea Dye Distress Ink, first going over the whole of each one using an Inkylicious Ink Duster, and then further distressing the edges with the foam applicator.

A selection of them were then distressed further with the Tim Holtz distressing tool. Then I scrunched them up and flattened them out, and brushed the distressing tool lightly over the creases with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, which was then also applied around the edges.

The longer quotations were matted onto black cardstock, using my Perfect Layers ruler at 1/16 inch.

The final sentiments were coated with three layers of UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) to produce an enamelled effect.

Here are all the sentiments I created today, with their different treatments. I am not yet sure whether all of them will be used, or if I will create further sentiments; I shan’t know this until I progress further with the album.

Finally for today, the firs page of the album with the first of the sentiments (some with UTEE) stuck down onto the large journaling mat with Pinflair gel glue. The UTEE’ed sentiments tended to curl as they cooled, so I placed some jars and heavy objects on top of the sentiments until the glue had dried.

Much of the time, I find the fact that Tim Holtz’s clock faces are without hands rather irritating, but in this case I don’t mind, because they suggest timelessness, which is great in this context. I recently bought some of his “game spinners” (metal embellishments) for this project – most people use these instead of clock hands, but they have a long piece sticking out the back which to my mind doesn’t look right, so I am going to cut these off! I wish he would produce some decent clock hands… I’ll have to ask Dad if I can raid his bits box and see if I can have some real ones!

2 comments:

  1. Love reading about all the details that go into each small piece! A real labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did we manage before distress ink!!! I love your text and the way you've aged it - I have never heard of a distressing tool, I usually just use a blending tool - it's possibly something I may find I can't manage without! Thanks so much for the tips and techniques - I love visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...