Thursday 29 November 2012

Tattered Time Mini-Album Part 4–Wallet Mini-Album for Page 1

I am following Kathy Orta’s excellent 7-part video tutorial on paper bag mini-albums. She is using the Tim Holtz paper stack “Lost and Found” and I am also incorporating papers from this collection into my album, because there are a number of small elements which are just right for tags and mini-albums within the mini-album; they also have a nice vintage feel and many of them fit my time theme.

Today I followed her instructions for making a delightful little wallet-type pouch to go in the side pouch of my first page. I am not going to give all the measurements for this as they are all on the video. This mini-album within an album has so many places for photo mats and journaling, and I will be able to add old photos from my grandfather’s family – these are all scanned into the computer now, so I can print them out whatever size I want. There are some lovely ones! I can’t wait to get them stuck into the album.

These are the elements needed to create the wallet. As you can see, I have made the two folders and matted all the surfaces, as per Kathy’s video.

Most of these papers are from “Lost and Found.” Top left: the pouch assembly for the wallet; top right: distressed memorandum pages (with the Tim Holtz distressing tool and lots of distress ink); bottom left: one of the folders open, and bottom right: the other folder closed. I love this particular paper with all the vintage photos on it, which is very much in keeping with the theme of page 1 (my father’s ancestry).

Here are the tags completed. I love the days of the week and calendar elements, because they fit in with the theme of time.

I departed a bit from Kathy’s instructions here because I haven’t got a punch to make file tabs with. This is on my “to do” list for designing cut files in Inkscape, so I decided instead to use some of the clock faces from “Lost and Found” to act as tag pulls – there are some more on the large journaling mat on page 1. The three tags on the left show the front surface, and the one on the right shows the reverse. There will be journaling on these memorandum pages, and photos on the back.

The next photo shows the two completed folders, with their tags in place. The bottom one has a background paper from “Tattered Time.”

Opening the folders, this is what is revealed inside.

Underneath the tags and the two photo mats I made, you can see the background papers matted onto the inside of the folder, which can also be used for photos or journaling. Turning the tags and photo mats over, you can see the Tim Holtz “Lost and Found” background papers for journaling and photos. I love the subtle colours and the general grungeyness of this collection! You can also see that there are further clock faces on the backs of the tags to line up with those on the front.

Here is the back view of the folders, with their tags showing. Again, more room for photos and/or journaling.

For this next photo, I placed the completed folders into the pouch assembly and propped it up so that you can see how it works. The spare tags are inserted in the other two of the four pockets in the pouch.

I cannot complete the wallet until the arrival of the circle punch that I have on order, but I have cut the black cardstock, ready to make the outside of the wallet.

In the Tim Holtz collection there are some ATC-sized images. I cut out two of these together and folded them to form a tiny photo folder. This is the outside, with room for journaling on the back.

Inside, I shall put two small photos.

I think that will probably be it for page 1 as far as interactive additions are concerned, but it depends how many photos and how much information I decide to add. With the large pockets on the page, there will always be room for more tags if necessary. When all the pages are complete, I shall be adding some embellishments, too, and I’ve got some gorgeous Tim Holtz ones for the front cover. The embellishments will be the icing on the cake!

9 comments:

  1. Wow Shoshi this is powering along at a fantastic pace, such a great project to be embarking on I'm so envious. I discovered very late in the piece that my dear Mum destroyed a lot of the old photos she had so they are lost forever unfortunately - I mean, what on earth would have motivated her to get rid of 'em? So a project like this is out of the question for me I'm sad to say.

    Looking fwd to see the next installment.
    Cheers,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your album is looking fantastic Shoshi and it's been nice to see how you made it.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks absolutely gorgeous and I think the end result will be spectacular! What a great gift you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the gorgeous details, the little pockets with the clock face tabs are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soshi! Thank you for the blog comment! you blew my mind, I never thought of making molds of the screw heard and other hardware, man that would save me a ton of $$$ and I hate running out of screw-top brads, this is perfect, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I love, love, love your work - I really want to make an album now! I love following your techniques and seeing how it's progressing. The watch faces are fabulous and the papers you are using are just totally gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, these are looking lovely.
    Kyla #16

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...