Wednesday 22 February 2017

Home from hospital and WOYWW 403

I was let out from hospital last Thursday evening after spending most of the day waiting around as one always has to do, for drugs to come up from the pharmacy, and for my PICC line to be removed.

As soon as we got home my hubby put me to bed, and since then I have been slowly recovering. As the doctor predicted, my walking has improved quite well since my return home. I am still using the walking frame but at least I am walking now, and not shuffling. I am still experiencing pain in my abdomen when walking but I’m still on pain meds and hope that this will improve with time. My appetite remains small and I have lost 12 lb since being admitted. I can’t believe that my operation was three weeks ago today!

I have been a bit concerned about the state of my wound since my return home so on Monday the district nurse came up to see me, and she reassured me that there were no signs of infection. She has put fresh dressings on it, this time containing iodine which should help the wound to dry up a bit. There are two small holes that I was worried about, which are weeping a bit still, and a swelling at the bottom end which she says is filled with fluid which will either come out, or be reabsorbed. She said that it was bound to take longer to heal after everything I’ve been through, and in view of the fact that I had such a lot of chemo.

I had not been prepared for the poor state of my veins post-chemo, because I thought that having the port would obviate this problem, at least locally – a friend who had her chemo administered through a vein in her arm told me that 10 years on, they are still unable to take blood from that arm – but obviously the chemo had a systemic effect, and none of the nurses were surprised at this. Having the PICC line solved the problem, although of course it did necessitate having a specially trained nurse or junior doctor to hook me up to take blood or administer drugs because it required the setting up of a sterile field.

I continue to be very tired. My hubby brings me breakfast in bed and I get up after this. With the new dressing on the wound I am unable to shower but manage to have a good wash in my adapted bathroom. He is doing our meals, and until the end of this week he has cancelled most of his engagements so that he can be here to look after me. I still need some help with dressing as it is hard to bend down and I’m still pretty shaky. I am gradually gaining in independence but it’s going to be a long slow recovery. I still find it rather difficult to concentrate on anything for any length of time but have started reading again in short bursts. Other “activities” include listening to audio books and watching TV! Nothing too taxing for now!

When I got home, Beatrice was pleased to see me, but Phoebe was very nervous of me and ran away! However, both kitties are now happy to have me back and we’ve had lots of cuddles.

It is very, very good to be home.

19 comments:

  1. Hello there, it's lovely to hear that you're home again and I wish you all the very best in your recovery. Crafty hugs, Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shoshi. So glad you are home. Recovery will take whatever time it takes - so simply go with the flow. John was told by one of the nurses, that a week in hospital took three weeks of recovery! It certainly seemed about right. Enjoy pottering, enjoy reading a bit, and enjoy snoozing. What retirement is about!!!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shoshi, so good to hear you are home. Recovery from any of this is slow, isn't it? Like you I get very tired, and seem to spend a lot of time just napping.
    Chemo certainly does not do your veins any good at all. Getting blood from me is not a problem, but putting canulas in for giving me anything is a bit of a nightmare, I end up black and blue!I totally agree, it is very good to be home. Much love to you both,
    Shaz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shoshi, you poor thing! Glad you are home though, and take it easy! Lots of love. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know you're home, everything on the road to a recovery is easier at home, privacy and no time pressure are the first of a long list for me! I had a large fluid filled bump on the end of the scar on my scalp,, but it did disperse. so, you know the drill. Slow, steady and patient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoshi - I'm not joining in - again. Saw your posts though and am sorry to read about all you going through. Glad you are home and I hope that you improve quickly. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pleased to hear you are home again, just try to take it easy and if you need a nap then have one several if you need it. Thanks for the visit to mine and have a great woyww, Angela x 18

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that you're home! Slow and steady and you'll soon be back crafting. Sounds like you have a lovely husband - a keeper as my mother-in-law would say.

    Take care of yourself!
    Sharon K #31

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're home and praying for strength and recovery.
    Carol N #29

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are home and that your recovery continues, even if slowly. Your husband sounds amazing. Happy belated WOYWW Sarah #23

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shoshi I've not seen your blog for a while so completely missed this! Glad you're home and on the road to recovery. If there's anything you or N need give me a yell as always. Hope you continue a steady improvement xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slowly but surely Shoshi, you'll get better! Look at it on the bright side - 12lb weight loss! That's gotta be a positive right? I know probably not at the cost of so much pain and suffering, but it's still on the positive side of the equation. Glad you felt good enough to post on WOYWW and I hope you'll feel stronger by the day to create something soon! Thanks so much for visiting yesterday - sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier. Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bet you're glad to be home. Slowly is the only way to recovery, and you sound to have an excellent nurse looking after you. Rest when you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad that you are at home being well cared for by hubby and kitties. You sound like you are also in good spirits which is so important! Be sure to watch comedies on TV as it has been proven that laughter is the best medicine! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #37

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shoshi,

    There is nothing better than returning home and getting along at your pace, but following Doctor's orders! Since I haven't been posting regularly I didn't even realize you had been sick. I hope you continue to improve and give yourself time.

    Glad to see your post!

    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs, Kay (35)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice and Easy does it. Comforting to have such a caring and capable hubby. Cats do not take to wounds and sickness but there love of you soon over comes that. I found that healing takes about 3 weeks and the moving a little longer. So thinking of you and stay positive.
    so happy to have you stop by to visit me!
    hugs Monica

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are improving and realise slow and steady is the way, looking forward to hearing you report your improvement next week Tracy #15

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to read that you are home and taking it slowly. I didn't do WOYWW last week (too much going on with letting out a property), but finally finding time to do some reading of blog posts. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know it is a while since I visited Shoshi, I sometimes miss doing the WOYWW rounds, but just wanted to wish you well and hope that you will continue taking it easy until you get your strength back.... Take care. Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...