Wednesday 9 August 2017

WOYWW 427

As you will probably understand, there’s no change on my desk this week, so no photo to share. I have been spending all my spare time in with the kittens and making videos galore! They are 11 weeks old today and growing fast, very feisty and alternating between fits of extremely vigorous play and crashing out asleep for hours. I’m amazed at how much noise they make, thundering around on those little paws, with occasional yelps when the play fighting gets too rough, and lots of little chirrups from Lily.

Tomorrow, we will have had them for two weeks! How quickly the time passes. Their personalities and preferences and coming out now, and they have their favourite toys, and different food preferences. Ruby has decided she doesn’t like wet food and for a couple of days I was worried about her because she wouldn’t eat – she’d demand food extremely loudly (again, amazing what a huge sound this tiny creature can make!) and then when I put it down, she’d turn away, and go on asking. She loves the little kitten biscuits and wolfs them down. I am trying her on different brands of wet food because it’s important for her to have that as well, but at least they are both drinking plenty of water – something all our previous kitties have never done, at least, not from a bowl in a civilised manner, but out of the drains etc. outside!!

They are at this moment careering around my feet, ambushing each other and wrestling with each other. Half an hour ago this is how they looked.

01 Sitting Together on Step Stool 9-8-17

Ruby playing in the basket suspended from the cat tree my hubby made for them.

01 Ruby in the Basket

Crashed out asleep. They often sleep on top of each other.

02 Kittens on my Lap 5-8-17

I tend to do more videos than photos because I can usually only photograph them when they are asleep because otherwise they are moving too fast! Here is my favourite video of them.

All the videos are on previous posts on this blog, and also on my Youtube channel (link in sidebar).

One non-kitten thing I did manage to do this week was to make a video slide show of the mixed media mini-album I made in memory of my dad for my niece. It’s a project I’ve been meaning to do for ages.

I recently acquired an app for the iPad called LumaFusion, which is a powerful video editor and I can do most things on that that I can do on Final Cut Pro on the Mac. Very convenient as the iPad is also used as the video camera and there’s no transferring of video files to be done. More slide shows will follow, of other albums I’ve made since. They take a long time to edit, but they are fun to do. I’m planning to rig up the iPad over my desk so I can start videoing myself at work again.

Health Update

I’ve got an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow morning. When I saw him last (about 3 months ago), he booked me in for a CT scan of my abdomen to check whether my parastomal hernia had returned because it was “inconclusive.” It turned out that some fat had come through. Nice thought, esp. as I’ve now lost so much weight!! Anyway, he wrote me a letter after that, saying he recommended leaving well alone – at our last meeting he’d said he’d be reluctant to open me up and perform major surgery again unless it was absolutely necessary. Sutured parastomal hernia repairs have a 100% failure rate, and it rather looks as if it’s on the way to failure already (I had the operation on 1st Feb.) so I’m hoping it won’t fail and cause another obstruction, requiring another major operation as an emergency. What I really want is elective surgery for the insertion of some mesh around the stoma to reinforce the area, so hopefully he will do this when the hernia finally returns and before I get into difficulties with it. I don’t suppose he will have anything new to tell me tomorrow.

When I saw the oncologist after the CT scan result came back, she said there was no sign of cancer, but they should have scanned my chest as well (metastases from bowel cancer often appear in the lungs) so I had another scan. A case of the right hand not knowing what the left was up to? No cancer evident, and they are happy to see me as arranged in November, which will be the 2 year anniversary of my all-clear.

I’ve been a bit rough with my ME just lately but that’s probably from overdoing things, getting the kitchen sorted again after the new pantry was completed, and all the rushing around getting the kittens and getting them settled in (nice, though!). I’m resting when I can, and spending most of the time with the kittens. They tend to sleep all afternoon, having worn themselves out with their morning play session, and we all cuddle up together!

12 comments:

  1. Aww, I love cuddling up with Oreo too! Good thing about cats is that they sleep so much - even if they go crazy in between! Sounds like Ruby and Lily are having the time of their lives with you! Lucky little things! They're so cute and I can now see the difference in their patterns on their faces. One of them is more white than the other - which one's which in the first photo?

    I remember that album - you were working on it at the time we first met! Your video is very professional and I enjoyed the flip-through very much! So many wonderful pages and I can only imagine how much work went into it!

    Good luck with your check-up tomorrow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shoshi, lovely kitty pictures & stories. My Ambrose was exactly the same about water- never touched what was put down for him, but went outside & drank from the pond, the birdbath & the plant saucers! I understand about the lung mets, that was what mine was. So I'm always scanned abdomen & pelvis. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shoshi, what a fabulous labour of love for your niece. I felt I had met your father by the end of the video; an amazing and fascinating man. The video of Lily and Ruby made me laugh out loud, they are so cute that I can understand your preoccupation with them. Glad all the scans have come back clear, hopefully the hernia won't become too serious in the near future. Hope your ME doesn't hold you back too much in the next week. Sarah #25

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are SO beautiful your pretty kitties! Rest and naps and play- perfect for them and us :)
    Happy WOYWW!
    Claire no. 2

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know your scans went well. Best of luck with the hernia problem! Your doctor's reluctance is probably wise, but good luck with your next appointment.
    Your kitties are charming! Very sweet, playful and pretty.
    Happy WOYWW!
    Rose of Rose's Art Garden #8

    ReplyDelete
  6. the kittens are gorgeous! Love the album for your niece, what an absolute treasure that will be. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once looked after Jan's cats for a couple of nights and was in a right old panic because they didn't appear to be drinking. Turns out, cats prefer to source their water separately from their food and they're especially found of outside wate. Jan actually has a bowl of water butt water for them, well away from their food bowl place. Amazing, huh! Glad you're having fun with the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy WOYWW (just about! I am off to bed in a short while - been a long day). No wonder you have not got much crafting done this week, and that your ME is flaring, Lily and Ruby are so cute - and that small kitten stage is always over so quickly (just like the human variety!). All of our cats are now fairly elderly. Milky is the youngest at 10. They definitely rule the house and yard. Buzz the dog is terrified of them, which Milky takes advantage of and ambushes him whenever she can. I am always having to rescue him! I hope it is some while before your hernia needs sorting out again, and so glad that your scan was clear. Ali x #32

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those kittens - they're simply gorgeous, such pretty markings! The pic of the swinging basket made my day!! Give them a tickle from me :-D
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those kittens are ADORABLE!!!!! It looks like you (and they!) are having so much fun! I absolutely LOVE your book about your Grandfather - what a wonderful man! I'd be happy if I could do half what he did in my lief! I love the story about it's better to be a professional doctor and have music as a hobby, rather than the other ay around - sounds like he was a hoot! I would have loved to have met him. I also love the way you made your book out of Christmas cards - what a fantastic idea - and there is so much to see on your pages - fantastic (I pinned it, hope you don't mind!) Sounds like good things are happening on the medical side, hopefully all will go as you want it to go! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #30

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those kittens are adorable! I hope you get good news at your doctor visits.
    April #24

    ReplyDelete
  12. This week I start visiting last weeks WOYWW
    before I make my own post for this week.

    Such cuties! Adorable! <3

    And your album is excellent work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...