On Sunday it is our 29th wedding anniversary and I was determined to make my hubby a nice card. Again I am so delighted that Mr. Mojo and Mrs. Muse have returned at last from their extended unauthorised break just in time!
As with the birthday card I made for him for yesterday, I used things from my stash, to save extra work and also to make use of some of the stuff I’ve got.
These are the basic materials for the card.
I made a whole lot of flowers a while back, and cut the pieces using Sheba, my Cougar cutting machine, using watercolour paper. I laid the pieces out on some more watercolour paper and sprayed them with Dylusions spray inks, and then flipped them over and moved them elsewhere on the paper and sprayed the backs. This way I ended up with nice coloured pieces to make my flowers, and some great backgrounds to go in my stash for future projects. I found this one and thought it would make a nice bright card. The ribbon was a scrap, and the orange and dark red card are from my stash, as is the heavy-weight white card for the card base.
Here is the card with the envelope. I matted and layered the floral background piece first onto orange, and then onto the dark red card, after attaching the ribbon around the floral piece and securing the ends on the back with double sided tape from my ATG glue gun.
I took some orange-coloured copper wire and made a circular loop in it with my jewellery pliers and slipped on the double heart charm, and than flattened the loop so that the charm would not slide along the wire, and would hang freely. Starting on the back of the piece, I wound the wire three times around the card, cutting off the excess and twisting the ends together on the back, and flattening the twist.
Matting the floral piece onto the orange layer with double sided tape secured the wire in place.
Before assembling the card, I inked the white card base with Spiced Marmalade, Fired Brick and Festive Berries distress inks, using an Inkylicious Ink Duster. I inked the envelope in the same way, but didn’t add quite so much colour – this technique was repeated also on the inside of the card.
Here is the completed card. The wire catches the light and adds a different texture to create more interest.
Finally, a detailed shot of the card’s embellishments. Using a purple marker, I hand-wrote the sentiment on a piece of scrap paper with traces of the same inking on it, but paler, and stuck this down with Pritt adhesive, and outlined it with a purple gel pen.
This same sentiment was repeated inside the card, written directly onto the card base.
I had my pre-assessment for the insertion of the port-a-cath today, which all went well. A long question-and-answer session with the specialist nurse first (very thorough), then a snack lunch at the cafe and then back for a short appointment with the radiologist who will perform the procedure. I also had to have blood taken, and an ECG, and then home. I shall be going in first thing on Friday for the procedure under general anaesthetic, and then at lunch time my first chemotherapy treatment will begin. This will take four hours, and then they’ll keep me there for half an hour to make sure all is well, before I can come home. The treatments will continue once every three weeks for the next six months, and I do not anticipate feeling too well during that time but my hubby and I are glad that I am having it, in order to mop up any stray cancer cells that might still be wandering around in my body. Please see my Cancer Diary page for full details.