My friend Wendy has persuaded me to join my first ever swap! This is the February ATC (Artist Trading Card) swap, and I’m really excited about it. I’ve always thought I hadn’t really got time to do swaps, because when I’ve got the energy to do anything creative, it’s to complete projects I have to do for people’s birthdays etc. etc., but I thought, ATCs are small so don’t take too long, and it would be fun to have a go!
The theme for this month’s swap is “Love/Valentine” (of course!), so I decided to do something with hearts and a red colour scheme. When I was at the craft show I bought some scrim from the mixed media stand and have been keen to try it. It’s a natural, unbleached colour, so I cut some small rectangles (really difficult to handle, so I damped it a bit, which made it a lot easier) and then I swiped my Fired Brick Distress Ink pad across my craft mat, spritzed it with water and mussed the pieces around in it till they were a nice shade of red. Afterwards I dried them using my heat gun.
I’ve got some lovely hand-made paper with leaves in it, and I tore some little rectangles from this, and hand-wrote some words on them. The “Love” ones I stuck with photo-mount spray adhesive to the dyed scrim pieces.
I created the background paper with Serif Craft Artist Platinum, the new digital scrapbooking software that I recently obtained – and still have to learn how to use. What I wanted was a hand-made paper look, with a small repeating pattern on it, which in this case is made up of two different heart embellishments.
The top part of this background paper was torn, and overlaid onto a piece of black and pink Core-dinations card which I scored in close parallel lines on my Scor-Pal board, and then sanded, exposing the pink core on the raised parts. This Core-dinations card forms the basis for the ATC.
I cut two hearts for each ATC, one in bright red and the other in darker red, and stamped the bright red one with a darker red ink. The hearts were then hand-embossed from behind, and adhered to the ATC with Pinflair glue to prevent them being squashed. The text pieces were then added, using photo-mount spray adhesive.
I printed the clock face images onto card, and cut them out by hand, and then picked out the Roman numerals with Perfect Pearls, using a very fine watercolour brush.
Finally, I punched out some small hearts from gold paper and stuck these randomly onto the card. I had designed some ATC labels on the computer, using a hand-written script which I have converted into a font, and I glued these onto the backs of the ATCs, completing the details (title, date, etc.).
They have now been sent off, and I look forward to seeing what lovely ATCs come back to me at the end of the month!