Thursday 11 June 2015

Boxes for Calico Lavender Bags Part 1 Shells and Leaves

The first of two posts for today – too many boxes and photos for a single post!

I made quite a few lavender sachets out of calico, stamping on the fabric with archival inks – I deliberately kept most of these fairly plain because I wanted some that might be more suitable to give to men.

Seashell Boxes

The first ones were stamped with seashells, and I made these boxes for them.

10 Sea Shell Boxes and Sachets

I began by cutting a number of box shapes from watercolour paper, and inked them with Old Paper distress ink as the same basis for them all. This gave a softer effect than the stark white of the watercolour paper. For subtle inking I prefer an Inkylicious Ink Duster to a blending pad as you have more control, and can build up the colour gradually.

01 Old Paper DI

For the seashell boxes, I then added some Wild Honey distress ink.

01 Wild Honey DI

I then stamped them with seashell stamps, stamping twice for each application of ink on the stamp, to give a dimensional effect.

02 Stamping with Sea Shells

I distressed the edges with Vintage Photo distress ink, using one of my home-made blending pads made from an old wood block from which I’d unmounted a small stamp, and some Cut ’n Dry foam. I did this on the inside and the outside of each piece.

03 Vintage Photo DI

On the inside of the boxes, I applied some regular matt gel medium with a foam brush and added some variegated copper gilding flakes, pressing them down well with my brayer.

04 Variegated Copper Gilding Flakes

The completed boxes.

05 Sea Shell Boxes

06 Sea Shell Boxes

07 Sea Shell Box Partially Open with Sachet

08 Sea Shell Box Open with Sachet

09 Sea Shell Box Open without Sachet

10 Sea Shell Boxes and Sachets

 

Leaf Box

08 Leaf Box Complete

This box was stamped with all the stamps in the Designs by Ryn set, to match the bag I made using one of the stamps from the set.

I began by inking the box piece with Bundled Sage distress ink.

01 Bundled Sage DI

I added some Peeled Paint distress ink onto the outside…

02 Peeled Paint - Front

and onto the inside.

03 Peeled Paint - Back

I wanted a more mottled effect on the outside, and a smoother effect on the inside.

Then I added Forest Moss distress ink to the inside of the box in subtle patches in the middle, and more boldly with my blending pad to the edges of the piece.

04 Forest Moss DI - Back

On the outside of the box, I stamped the three leaf sizes onto the piece using Versamark, and then heat embossed using clear embossing powder.

05 Clear Embossing

I then worked over the surface of the piece with Forest Moss distress ink, so that the paler green underneath the embossing would be revealed, and cleaned the ink off the embossing with a piece of kitchen paper.

06 Forest Moss DI Over Clear Embossing

On the inside, I mirrored the stamping, but this time using gold embossing powder.

07 Gold Embossing Inside

The completed box.

08 Leaf Box Complete

09 Box Partially Opened with Sachet

10 Box Fully  Open with Sachet

Please continue to the next post to see the rest of the boxes for calico bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...