Saturday 13 June 2015

Giving Away the Lavender Sachets

I went for my second chemo treatment yesterday and took a basket full of 16 lavender sachets each in their little boxes. When I arrived at reception I asked how many chemo-ites would be there today because I didn’t know if I’d made enough, and explained that I’d made a little gift for each person. I opened them up to show her, and she was so delighted that she called all the nurses within earshot and they loved them too – they were all quite overwhelmed that I should have thought of doing such a thing, and had actually made everything myself. I must say I wasn’t expecting such a good reception for my idea!

I sat in the room where everybody was sitting and handed round the basket for those in that section, and they were all thrilled. I explained how I’d got the idea, from my friend Maria who had sent me such a gorgeous quilt to comfort me during my chemo, and then one of the nurses volunteered to distribute the others to the treatment room where one lady was occupying a couch, and the other bay of the treatment area. I was delighted to go home with an empty basket! I had made exactly the right number.

One of the nurses, a tiny petite lady from the Philippines who rejoices in the absolutely gorgeous name of “Precious”! – was particularly thrilled with what I had done and was quite moved. I certainly never expected such a response! This lady amazed me by telling me she had two teenage children – she hardly looked more than a teenager herself and said that whatever she did, she couldn’t seem to put on weight – I could probably have got both hands around her tiny waist! She was an absolute darling. All the nurses on the unit are so lovely, and despite the seriousness of what goes on there, and the quite alarming number of people having chemo because cancer is so rife these days, there is a really happy atmosphere.

I met several lovely people having treatment with me, and will be seeing them again as most of them are on a 3-weekly cycle like myself, and others who come fortnightly I shall see every 6 weeks. They were all so friendly and lovely.

I have been thinking about what I might do next for them. A friend of ours who has been undergoing cancer treatment for a while has been emailing me and is convinced that there are “chemo angels” looking after us all – my best friend from Plymouth sent me a gorgeous little angel pendant for my birthday and angels have been on my mind quite a bit recently! I have decided to make some little chemo angels to give away, so I shall be looking for some art doll templates online. Another use for my plentiful supply of fabric scraps.

This time I’m not putting pressure on myself to get them completed by my next treatment in three weeks’ time, but will work on them at my leisure as and when I feel well enough.

Watch this space to see how I get on.

I’m not feeling so good after my treatment – things are definitely worse this time than last, as the effects are cumulative. I am finding it hard to type as I feel as if I’ve lost control over my shaky fingers and have to keep going back to correct typos! More news about the treatment itself on my Cancer Diary page.

11 comments:

  1. You are a gem! Keeping you in my prayers x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful comfort and inspiration you are to your fellow patients! No wonder they are so appreciative! Keep going - angels are looking over you and hubby x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely thing you are doing Shoshi.It is little things like that that mean so much to people. Kindness no matter how small can have profound effects.I am off to make some gift boxes too.You've inspired me.Oh little angels..how lovely!! Will look up some myself. Perhaps you'd like me to fax you some patterns?

    Giving you a virtual hug!!
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely lovely thing to do for people going through the same treatment you are. I hope that you get over the side affects quickly.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been keeping up with all that you've been making, and I am so glad that you were able to share your beautiful gifts with others! I said a prayer for you yesterday and meant to send a word of encouragement but the time change got the better of me. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers .... Here's to hoping you can tolerate the side effects for a bit longer. Two treatments down, and only six to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoshi,

    I am really bad with emails lately but yours I am trying to keep up with. What a lovely person you are and you had enough, see you must of known something all along. I do hope you are feeling better soon, take it easy and rest lots. Little angels sounds like a wonderful idea, just don't push yourself too hard.

    Hugs Eliza & Yoda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shoshi... your sachet boxes are just lovely; you are amazingly creative in the midst of difficult circumstances, and I applaud you for doing something so wonderful for others. I have bookmarked your blog site and will follow you often. Sending you big hugs.

    Mokihana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoshi, I needed to check on you today. Keep on praying and asking your angels to help you through this rough time. Know that many are praying/sending positive thoughts for you. Keep up the good work. You are awesome! 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Soshi, I am behind on blogs and comments but I have been thinking about you. Hope the chemo after effects are subsiding. Can you please send me your address at ascrapnut@msn.com? am not going to stalk you, I would like to send you some encouragement. Take care Soshi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you are not feeling so good after this last batch of chemo. Just hold on in there, it will be over with before you know it.
    Sending positive vibes and prayers.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Shoshi, sorry this round of chemo is harder, I've been told that it's cumulative. Hope the side effects wear off quickly. My sister starts her chemo in 3 weeks and she has to have a port fitted as her veins have collapsed, so thank you for your info above comparing the 2 options.
    Thank you for your kind comments (several weeks ago now - sorry!) I am still struggling after shoulder surgery and find crafting quite painful, so not done much of anything now since April. Also been spending lots of time travelling to/from sister so very little free time. Loved your lavender bags!
    Really hope the chemo improves - sending you big hugs and positive thoughts
    Debs x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...