Sunday 15 July 2012

Fiddler on the Roof Card

A little while ago, an old friend died. He was renowned for his singing, and in particular his rendition of “If I were a rich man” from Fiddler on the Roof. On several occasions I was privileged enough to sing with him, singing duets from Fiddler.

Remembering this particular aspect of this lovely man, I wanted to write to his widow to let her know we were thinking of her, and I decided to make a card depicting Fiddler on the Roof.

I cut the image in black card on Sheba, my Black Cat Cougar cutting machine, and spray-mounted it onto a piece of acetate which I had coloured with alcohol inks from behind. Using the Ranger felt applicator, I applied a mixture of Chilli Pepper, Calabaza Orange, Sunbright Yellow and Burrow Brown from my Pinata range of alcohol inks, and added a little of the Adirondack Gold Mixative. The final touch was to add a few drops of blending solution and mix it using the felt applicator. As usual when photographing reflective surfaces, the photo doesn’t do it justice – to get it as good as possible the base card doesn’t show up particularly well – this was distressed round the edges with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink, and only the darker bits seem to show.

The sentiment is a simple gold peel-off, “Thinking of You.” I think the black silhouette works quite nicely against the rich alcohol ink background.

11 comments:

  1. Nice card - I'm sure your friend will appreciate the time you took to make it in memory of her husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great card, and it is so nice when it is personalised for the recipient.
    The alcohol inks are so vibrant and they are a perfect background for the silhouette, which you probably know by now, are one of my favourites. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shoshi,
    Just to let you know I've send one more email, just in case it works now - I've been out all day so maybe my computer has had a chance to cool down!!!
    The card is beautiful and a very fitting tribute to your friend by the sound of things. The alcohol inks are simply stunning, especially with that silhouette in front, and I think I need to buy the distress ink purely for the fabulous name of Spiced Marmalade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really wonderful card in his memory. I love the bright background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a special card Shoshi.It will be a lovely thoughtful thing to send to your friend's widow.
    So you sing eh? I love singing.I'm not good, but love choirs, and choral music sends shivers down my spine.Being in a group of singers is a most wonderful sensation!I guess you must miss those singing sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful, thoughtful gesture Shoshi.
    The card is stunning alone, but then add the sentiment and it's truly special.
    I'll guarantee they'll be tears but good tears...remembering the good times and that she's not alone ~ there are caring people thinking of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your friend, Shoshi. What a perfect card to make in his memory - so special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Shoshi, I remember singing along to those songs as well with my mother who passed away last year. The card is beautifully done and very thoughtful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ryn - nice to know another Fiddler fan! Happy memories of singing with special people! Glad you like the card. Thank you for signing up to follow me - I am very flattered! I have returned the compliment on your blog, and look forward to you starting posting on there.

      Shoshi

      Delete
  9. I completely adore this! It has lots of things that I love - the silhouette, Topol, that amazing burnt sun and the gold peel off on black. Oh and the colour names are AWEsome aren't they!? Chilli Pepper, Calabaza Orange, Sunbright Yellow, Burrow Brown and Spiced Marmalade! Excellent, haha
    A very loving and thoughtful tribute Shoshi :0) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mo - so pleased you like it! I adore Topol and Fiddler, all the more so because they remind me so much of our lovely friend! He is sadly missed by so many people whose lives he touched. Yes, the colour names are fun! I love all the Distress Ink names - I mean, doesn't Frayed Burlap conjure up something or other? They seem to have hit the spot, not like Stampin' Up who seem to have chosen the naffest names for their colours - get this - "Certainly Celery" ROFL!!! (Maybe it's just because I hate celery...)

      You should have a go with alcohol inks. My friend Kate http://manualidades-mamapez5.blogspot.com.es/ does amazing stuff with them, and sent me the most fabulous ATC for the swap.

      Shoshi

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...